One of my favorite memories growing up was canning and eating homemade applesauce. Mmmm was it ever tasty. I remember being shocked at going over to a friends house one day and finding store-bought applesauce. "You can buy applesauce from the store?" I asked incredulously. That was my introduction to the bland boring goo that companies have the audacity to call applesauce. And over time, my tastebuds acquiesced into accepting the bland mush.
Over the years, I have moved from a sugared applesauce, to an unsweetened variety. After all, "High Fructose Corn syrup --It's making America Fat!" For the past few years, we have been consuming the "Great Value" unsweetened applesauce. Bland, boring, and a little too tart for these taste buds.
The other day, Jenny brought home some Treetop brand applesauce. No sugar, but it sure tastes like homemade. Go ahead and spend 20 cents more for a happy mouth.
Worth it? My kids think so
Monday, May 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey T.E.
I have found that you can take the boring and bland, and add a little splenda and/or other sweeteners, and a little cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and have some pretty darn good stuff. Not quite as good as homemade, but nothing ever is. I think Penzy's spices would really zing it up. Good luck!
I hear you get some of Independence Grandma's apples this year. That is so wonderful and she is so happy not to have to throw them all over the fence to the cows.
Mom
hey! he stole my answer! i think if you add a little splenda to it... it will do the trick! and that is funny it is one of your most favorite memories... i don't think it was my favorite... i guess it was fun. i guess i'm more of a city girl after all. ;P
i like the new posts!
-kt
Man, I am craving applesauce badly now. Thanks a lot.
Jenny
Post a Comment