Saturday, July 7, 2007

Busy Weekend

Wow! If every weekend was this busy, I am not sure when I would rest. Friday evening, Jacob (Jenny's brother) and I went up to Downtown Denver (LoDo to the locals). We went to Rodizo's Grill to treat Jacob to a Churrascaria. It was his first Brazilian BBQ. He loved it. We took the light rail from Belleview to Union Station. After dinner, we rolled down to the theatre and watched Transformers. The CGI was pretty sweet. The plot was somewhat laughable. Well, no bones about it, it was darn right silly.

The light rail was pretty fun to ride. I had a free pass, as my company had given all the employees "Eco-Passes." Basically a free ride anywhere on RTD. Which is pretty sweet! However, there are always a loony or two that ride as well. Jacob and I were lucky enough to have a cuckoo ride behind us with a potty mouth. That ruined part of the trip up. We just switched trains and ended that.

The next day we went to Tiny Town. Basically this guy back in the early 19th century built a bunch of houses to a very small scale. Jenny, Jacob and I were thinking we were going to film a King Kong or Godzilla movie there, but there was a fairly large crowd. The buildings were also bigger than we were thinking, and heat was a damper. Charlotte freaked out at the train whistle, but enjoyed the 9 min train ride around the compound. That night we went to a mystical magical childhood memory of mine, Casa Bonita! It left such a wonderful impression on me as a kid. I remember it being this maze like place with these cool....things. I don't really remember the food, or much of anything. I do remember the water and glow necklaces. I really loved those glow necklaces. It was fun to take the kids back. Jenny had no such illusions. She remembered a cheap place with bad food. The food was so-so. I think that Disney took lessons from this place on moving people through a cue. Craziness! We were seated deep in the abyss. We watched a magic show that the girls thought was fantastic. While we were waiting in line, they had TVs blaring talking about the grandeur that is CASA BONITA. They stated that there was over 52,000 sq ft, which they were stating was over 5 football fields. To pass the time, I tried to do some calcs in my head to figure out how many square feet a football field is. My guess was around 45,000. I think the official tally came in around...shoot, now I have to look it up again. Just a sec. K, not including the endzones, the total is 48,000 square feet. SOOOO...their estimate was only 4 football fields bigger than it should be. I am tempted to write them a note. If so, I will let you know. Well, it is a late Sunday night...we are in the middle of a Star Wars marathon, and Jenny and Jacob are having burping contests. Timeless entertainment, sigh... Got to run.

4 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

I love it! Wonderful writing.

Jenny said...

Great, now everybody knows my delicate feminine pasttime...burping. Sigh.
Jenny

Katie said...

mike-
i love this entry! it is so much fun to read what your family and you are up to. and it is hilarious that they were bragging they had such a large place and didn't even bother to look up the actual size of a football field! way to call them on their bluff.
:)
-kt

Annieofbluegables said...

How fun to hear about your adventures. I imagine you, The Nurse, Stinker and Rooster are having a blast together.
Miss you
a