Sunday, February 10, 2008

CPR Training

A few weeks ago I took a CPR Class. Work provides it free once every 2 years. It had been quite a while since I had been trained on CPR. It was put on by the American Heart Association. We practiced on dummies. It was very tiring after just a couple minutes. The instructor told of people reviving after having 2 hours of CPR done. I don't think I could go that long! The biggest change since last time is that instead of giving mouth-to-mouth, it was mouth-to-mask. That and the number of compressions needed per breath. Did you know that in Japan they are so worried about spreading the bird flu and SARS that they just did compressions, no breathing? That and the lecture that we need to get Hep B vaccines. They also gave a pretty extensive breakdown of a good first aid kit. I think I will need to include that in our epic ride.

The other interesting thing that was include in the CPR training was regarding an AED. I guess they are in most work places, and are close to dummy proof.

So know I am officially trained on basic CPR, and have a cool book for a refresher and a CD with video demonstrations.

I hope I never have to use it.

The other interesting thing I learned was that they renamed the Heimlich Maneuver to the Abdominal Thrust. Why...I am not sure.

2 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

Thanks for that very informative post. I learned a couple of things by reading it.
I am glad I got my Hep B vaccine before we went to Taiwan.
have a great day, sweet son
~mom

Katie said...

they are renaming a lot of the medical terms to make them more universal rather than after the person who invented/discovered it. like the kreb's cycle is now the citric acid cycle...