Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Wishes

Well, it is Christmas night. My wife and I had an in-depth conversation to try and understand each other regarding this terminology. The 24th is known as Christmas Eve-all day long. So if you are trying to talk about Christmas eve vs. Christmas Eve, it is easy to get confused. We had get-togethers planned with both sides of the family. One on the evening of the 24th, and the other on the evening of the 25th. And we kept getting confused about what the other person is talking about. We finally reached a resolution the other day. Christmas Eve will be known -at least in our household- as the 24th. Then you have to add a noun to clarify what time of day you are talking about. Christmas is a little less cumbersome. Christmas morning...Christmas day...Christmas night.

When you start a new family, you bring traditions from both sets of parents. I think why people start preparing for Christmas back in October is that you try to plan for both sets of family traditions, and with each new generation the traditions get more elaborate.

Next year we would like to have all the presents bought around October so that we can focus on the more fun traditions. Below are some of the traditions that we have done in the past that were neglected this year do to the rush around Christmas time.

I like to make a type of cookie called a peppernut. Very good cookie, but we didn't get around to it this year. We also didn't get a chance to decorate the outside of our house. The neighbors were neglected, as we hadn't planned for treats until the last minute. My wife's valiant efforts to make something at the last minute didn't work out, and so nothing was given. We have piles of Christmas books to read to the children, but these were forgotten in the Christmas rush. In college, we used to do a good bit of caroling, and didn't get a chance to do that this year.

On the positive side, we did get presents under the tree for the girls, read Luke 2 on Christmas Eve at my Grandmothers, sing Christmas songs on Christmas Eve, we attended the Crèche in early December, took the children to see Santa, listened to the Christmas Devotional, had cookies and milk and a note out from Santa for the girls, decorated the tree, made gingerbread houses, and probably a few other things.

All-in-all a pretty good list of traditions, but there are always a few more to add. I am looking forward to focusing more on helping the children see the giving aspect more than the getting. So we will try that for next year.

Christmas traditions are also fun with a new family as you can take the favorites from both sides.

Well enough of my ramblings today. I had a great Christmas as I was able to spend it with all my famiy, and while there were a few with a little cough, or sniffley nose, it was nothing compared to the Christmas a couple of years ago after my wife's car accident. I am grateful that we are healthy and happy, and that my siblings and in-laws are for the most part healthy with a roof over their heads and food on the table. I am grateful that we have this time of year to reflect on the birth of the Savior, and upon the things he did during his life. I am thankful for the many friends we have, and that we are friends with our family. I am grateful for the gospel, and the church. To be able to meet together with others that share your belief system and values, and are willing to lend a hand when you need one.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Annieofbluegables said...

I'm all for getting ready for Christmas by October.
Please draw my name now and let me know.
love you
mom